Sunday, August 20, 2017

All of the Fests!! Pt. 1

Ahoy hoy friends!

It's been a long five months since we've seen each other. And once again, oh so much has happened. Sci-Fi Caper has been lucky enough to play two very amazing fests!

I tried to be mindful of taking photos and video but truthfully, I wanted to live in the moment. Sometimes I'll whip my camera or phone out for some photos and video. I usually end up abandoning the idea and try to simply enjoy what is happening. More often than not, it all ends up on my snapchat or Instagram. Which sucks later, because then I'm left wanting to look back at more pictures or video of the day. It's a vicious cycle. I did however manage to take some snap shots here and there.

FUSS FEST 2017

Fuss Fest is the brainchild of my lovely friend Priscilla. She wanted to organize a fest that was truly inclusive of all femmes from all over California. Our city (Fresno) always seems to have a few fests every year but the one thing that always stands out (to us at least) is it's lack of inclusion when it came to women, trans, queer and femme artists. She, herself is an amazing artist and has organized so many cool events in Fresno. She is also responsible for creating the album art for "Star Stuff". She had asked us if we'd be interested in playing a really cool fest she wanted to organize and of course we were down! The more I began to find out about the fest, the more involved I wanted to be. Even if it was just as a volunteer greeting people at the gate, I wanted to be a part of this. I wasn't the only one, she also recruited a couple of super star friends of ours. Samantha Retton (otherXcore) has been booking shows, making zines and just being an all around good friend for years and I'm lucky to be able to call her one of my best friends. Rio is my whiskey soulmate, I love her dearly and she happens to help her family run Yoshi!Now which is where the fest was held.

Though it was an unbearably hot day, we all stuck it out. Every band, vendor and artist truly made the fest something special to enjoy. I spent most of my time hanging out by the stage and helping wherever I could. Again, I wish I had taken more pictures and video but I was having so much fun! Here are the couple of snapshots I had left on my phone.

La Sirena Cafe were my favorite food vendor of the day. They had such a lovely set up, you would have thought they had been doing this for years. So, I was very surprised to discover that this was their first time vending at an event. I can't wait to see them at this years Fresno Zine Fest in September. Vril (out of L.A.) had the most intense and enjoyable set. I think watching their set gave me a second wind and had me going strong through the rest of the day into the night. They were great. Though, ALL of the bands did a fantastic job. It was terribly hot but I never heard anyone complain about anything. Our beautiful friend Meera graced us with her presence and it was truly a treat to have her there. We shared some delicious veganized snacks, laughed and danced our way through the day. I love her so much. The night ended strong and we all went home EXHAUSTED. I can't wait to see what next year brings.

Next up is the Oakland Popfest! To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment